the end (probably) of louiseinsenegal

So I have made the decision to try out the nomadic lifestyle, saying goodbye to Senegal.

OK, my temporary residence can still be renewed if I visit the Police des Etrangers in Dakar before 2 January 2023, but the likelihood of that is very low.  I'm sad, as I liked so much about Senegal - the climate, the music, my local beachside bar with its resident pelican, the baobab juice ... and I should have liked the relatively cheap prices, had I realised that the UK had got so much more expensive over the last couple of years.  But the status of older, single white people just made it too uncomfortable a place to live, always having to fend off the young men, and there was also the related constant intrusion of money concerns with other local friends, the reality being that every Senegalese person who has mattered to me, has ended up owing me money, none of which I shall ever get back.

Practicalities might have made permanent settlement there difficult, too.  Medical cover, for example, could become an issue as I get older.  & I have absolutely no idea as to the tax implications (if any?) of my temporary residency ever becoming permanent. 

In any case, I want to see the world, and Senegal is not a good base from which to do that.  So, whilst there is plenty I shall miss, it is time to move forward.

On to louiseinlimbo.blogspot.com !  (or, as I now find it listed as, louiseinlotsofdifferentplaces.blogspot.co.uk)

No comments: