and the pandemic drags on

Another month or more has passed since I last posted here, and really there is nothing to say.  Cases here continue to rise - although at nothing like the rates in the Americas - and even the President is currently in quarantine after one of his ministers fell sick with the virus, but life still goes on pretty much as normal.

Something like 95% of the population wear masks on the street, I would say, but we wear them on our chin, ready to pull up should we see a policeman (whilst they were never made compulsory on the street, there is still pressure to wear them) or should we go into any more crowded area.  The night-time curfew has been cut back so now covers only 23:00 - 05:00, and restaurants and bars have re-opened although still closing very early so that staff can get home by 23:00.

Last weekend I actually got out to see some live music, as a restaurant had organised a 'mini-festival' on their in-house stage.  I turned up at 15:00 to see Philip Monteiro play, followed by a few other bands, staying until they closed at 21:30.  I ate an over-priced meal (with a small glass of house wine costing the equivalent of $6.85!!) - but it was worth it just to get out of the apartment/supermarket bubble I've otherwise mostly been stuck in.

To my great joy, many private swimming pools have now re-opened, although with strict controls on the numbers allowed in at one time, and changing facilities not yet available.  So yesterday, with my reservation made a few days earlier, I turned up at the pool and got in the water for the longest swim I've ever had (just short of 60 lengths) as I just did not want to get out of the water.  I had discovered that I missed swimming enormously, and I've moved it to the top of my list of non-negotiables for my eventual retirement!

Of course I miss travelling too, although I've not had too much time to think about it as I have been working harder than ever.  Late nights, weekends ... but as there has been nothing much else to do, I haven't really minded.  Our borders are still closed to all except goods and evacuation/repatriation flights, and given the number of COVID cases coming in with the repatriations, I don't think the government will be in any hurry to open things up more.  Thankfully my employer announced that this year, international employees will be allowed to carry an additional 15 days of leave forward into next year, so I don't need to worry as yet about 'wasting' leave.

That's if I'm still here by then, as we have been hit by the economic slowdown as much as anyone else as a result of which our department has been told to downsize; we should know by early August who is to be cut.  In some ways I'm quite vulnerable, as I'm now the only expat left in my department, and you do have to wonder whether they will see the value of paying the costs of my being out in West Africa (my rent, medical insurance, annual flight home, etc) when I can't actually travel to any of the countries any more but am working online from my dining room table!  On the other hand, I'm one of the better performers and certainly the hardest working of the management team in my department.  A bit concerning, but there's nothing I can do to influence the decision so I just have to make the most of the mangoes - and the swimming pool! - whilst trying not to worry.

No comments: