Applying for a job

I usually avoid writing about work on here, as I don't think it's right for me to publish anything about my employer, nor about my colleagues. But I just have to share some of the stuff I have received in the last few weeks whilst trying to recruit some staff.

The working language of my NGO is English, and the job adverts therefore stated that all applications must be in English. Many applicants thus failed at the first stage, sending CVs and cover letters in French. Others tried hard to get around their lack of English with translations of varying quality. One of the more bizarre was the 'translation' of Curriculum Vitae to Curiculium Quickly.

The approaches to the covering letter vary hugely. One applicant, who had absolutely none of the relevant experience asked for, nevertheless ended his covering letter, "Consequently I insist on the obtainment of this employment since the mandate of our organisation is perfection and excellence".

Another elicited a great deal of sympathy with this:

"I jut graduated...but find it so difficult to get a job. I really love to work with you...for I love to help in the development of our country. It's so hard to get a job these days and my family really need my help because my dad died some years ago and my mum has little or nothing doing." But unfortunately he also had to go on the rejection pile.


Otherwise a fairly demanding work schedule, with French lessons when I can find the time, is keeping me fairly busy at the moment. But it is a lovely time of year to be here. I was lying in my hammock the other day trying to get to grips with the subjunctive, and I could see all the mangoes ripening overhead and a flock of bright yellow weaver birds chattering in the branches of my orange tree (no, not a lime tree as I first thought). A lizard with a red tail was darting about after flies, and Gloria had prepared me a nice glass of ginger juice. For those with a job, this is a great place to be...

No comments: